Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Day#11

Well I made some more progress with Alastor today I worked on picking up his feet it was long lesson that I have worked on some in the previous days. I took one leg at a time and used a rope to pull his foot up untill he was relaxed about some thing holding his foot up. Then I stepped in and rubbed on his cannon bones until he took a deep breath and soften his eye. After awhile I was able to pick up both front feet with out the rope but he still needs work on the back feet. That will come with time he is a bit of a kicker and tends to have good aim. After that I went to lunch and hung a bit in his mouth to get used to it. When i got back I got on him and used a four rein approach to get him used to the bit being used keeping him as soft as possible. He picked up what I was asking very fast. So I took him out of the round pen and rode him out side and as I saw I had as good as control of him as if I was in the round pen. I took him down the road cars were passing bye and paper on the side of the road was moving as they past but nothing seemed to bother him. It was a big step for Alastor and Me today. Were making a lot of progress this week so look for the up dates to see what we can accomplish next.

2 comments:

Katee said...

Alastor meets the world! That is great that you were able to ride down the road. It must make this training stuff so much more interesting for them when we're able to start working outside of round pens. I'm glad he did so well and hope that the progress continues.

Rebecca Bishop said...

It must be nice to go on some outdoor rides. We in WI are stuck inside for a few more weeks. But be prepared....it is not totally uncommon to have a Spring Snow Storm in April in WI. Keep up the great forward progress, I love the Hay Ring picture.